Skip to main content

tv   Charlie Rose  PBS  November 22, 2011 11:00pm-12:00am PST

11:00 pm
>> charlie: welcome they would stayed there until their demands are met. to be honest demands are not very clear. i mean, we want all, we want election. they're saying also the erection should take place. they're demanding the relief. i don't think this is a realistical request. so i don't know what else. >> charlie: we conclude this evening with an appreciation of ted forstmann. a friend a guest on this program and a man who had a philosophy of giving that touched lots of
11:01 pm
lives. >> i think that if you are lucky enough to have been given certain talents and you have ideas, i'm a big believer in the power of ideas, that you ought to try to promulgate those ideas for the good of everyone. and i, you know, i would, sounds like a big deal but you can do it in tiny ways. i would like, i try to spend as much time as i can in many ways as i can trying to make the world little bit better for as many people as i can, both in the world o ideas and in the world of actually trying to help people. >> charlie: the latest from egypt and remembering at the time forstmann when we continue.
11:02 pm
captioning sponsored by rose communications from our studios in new york city, th is charlirose.
11:03 pm
>> charlie: we begin then with going political unst in egypt. the ruling military counsel annunciationed today it would hand over power to an elected president no laterhan july 1, 2012. the parliamentary elections would proceed on monday. the head of the supreme council of the armed forces addressed the crises in a speech to the nation today. >> the armed forces represented in the supreme council of the armed forces -- at the presidency or at power we put the interestf egypt above everything else and we are willing to hand over the authority and power to a civil elected power and we go back to our barracks what people are to
11:04 pm
do without referendum. >> charlie: mass protest against the military rule have continued on the streets. they're estimated to be the biggest rally since the overthrow of president mubarak. at least 28 people have been killed and hundreds more injured since saturday. joining me by phone from cairo is naguib sawiris. he's one of egypt's best moan businessmen and chairman of win telecom. this year he cofounded pregypions a secular political party. i'm please tdo hav them back on this program. what do you think the reactio will be, naguib, to his speech today? >> charlie, i mean 69 reaction unfortunately is the same reaction we had when mubarak was having speeches -- unacceptance, you know. although i must say that i found his speech to be very objective, very clear, you know. he started by apologizing to the victims of this assault.
11:05 pm
he accepted the resignation of the current government which was a major demand by the square and by many people due to the continuous -- he has promised that the presidential elections will take place before june 2012 ich was also a request by many people because people were afraid of e extended schedule they were proposing to us for the election representation. he also said something very very powerfulnd he said that the people don't want the armed forces to rule. we're willing to step down if there is a popular referendum on us leaving or not and he has a point because you cannot accept that the square 200,000, 300,000 they represent all egyptians here. so personally i found the speech as satisfactory but as usual, we, from let's say the political parties are peop who are very
11:06 pm
concerned about the fure of egypt and what will happen to egypt. we found acceptable. unfortunately the square found that as non-acceptable and people are not happy with the speech you know. >> so what will they do? >> i am afraid to say they will stay there until their demand are met and to be honest, demands are not very clear. i mean, we want election. they're saying the election should take place. they are saying, they are demanding now that the relief. i don't think this is a realistic request so i don't know what else. the only good thing about this demonstration is the fact that if you go back a few days ago, the friday demonstration was a
11:07 pm
demonstration to demonstrate their power to show the military you d not lean to us because -- you leaned to us because we are powerful and we need to remind you how powerful we are. so they went out, did this couple of million demonstration on friday. then theyleft that night and they left the poor kids, they left this and the revolutionists and so on to suffer the demise of the police bombardg at them alone. and therefore the only good news about this gathering today in tahrir square is the gathering of liberal left, the secular who did the revolution. without the muslim brothers. because they felt that the muslim brothers were unrealistic. they pushed them to their demonstration and then they left the scene for them to take the beatings. so that's the only good news. the bad news is we're all concerned about this stability in egypt and we want to see our country back on track. that's the fact. >> charlie: what's the worse
11:08 pm
scenario possible? >> the wor scenario is if the elections don't -- because the must limb brothers have a very big chance of wning these elections and i think they're wrong. the people of egypt wish them they are here. they will step out to defend the civil nature of their country. they want the modern state they do not back to go to the back ages but if thelections are postponed, there uld be a lot turmoil and then the muslim brothers will change the tactics. up to now they were playing the democratic game because they are thinking it's going to lead them to success. and if we don't have the elections, we are going to be, we could not into a real serious situation. >> charlie: so is it likely that the elections will take place, the parliamentary electis? >> yes, i think it's likely. i thinhe army will not agree to postponing this. maybe postpone it a week or two week, this is not a big deal. but not holding it, i don't think is an option.
11:09 pm
even for us, we know we will not get the majority of this election. we believe that the only way forward for a democratic state is the elections. even if we don't want the muslim brothers we cannot be democratic and say we don't want them stopped so we don't want democracy, we cannot say that. we have to go out. people in egypt poor and rich, they don't want the religious state, you know. >> charlie: you certainly have made that an article of your own party's commitment, a secular state. muslim brotherhood rejected i think what the prime minister of turkey suggested would be good for egypt as a secular state. they will not win -- >> the mistake has been done from the beginning. i'm brave enough to say it today. is that the army has given them too much lean from the beginning. so it went up to their mild. theyelieve they're in power already and they're behaving like they are. all the statements are like that. one ofhe leaders said whoever
11:10 pm
thinks she can oppose us, these are the statements coming out bere they take power. what will they do when they take power you know. >> charlie: tell me what will happen if they takepower? >> they take power, they will teach everybody how to be dressed, how to eat, what to drink, what to do and whatnot to do. all of these issues is like a taliban like government. you are talking about you understand now and so on. the problem you guys in washington never listened to -- and they had the war but we decide to go anddo it our own way so that's the result. >> charlie: what mistake is the united states making with respect to egypt? >> the biggest mistake is they're just sitting there watching what's happening without trying to be proactive in any sense, you know. we have the financing muslim
11:11 pm
brotherhood, we have -- inviduals not the government. don'think the government is involved. everybody's financing the other side and we're sitting here as liberals crying, you know, who is with us, nobody. there hasn't been even statement that they would support deliberate movement in egypt who wants a secular state. all i'm saying if the muslim brothers come, we will talk to them we have no problem with them and so on. that's what they're saying so people think they're opportunistic. they will work with anybody. like they tried to work with the debit in many political world and they ate them up. so we need people to standby us. this is not iran. the majority of the egyptian peop do not want a religious state. the fact that they are now passive, they are scared from the bullying that's happening, the fact that the indications are that somehow the army sided with these people so people think it's a complaint.
11:12 pm
it's not a complaint. >> charlie: when are the parliamentree elections. >> november 28th. >> charlie: that's a little more than what. >> six days. >> charlie: six days. >> yes. and how can you handle an election like that in the square if they are frightened and all that. they have to be post poapped a week or two. >> charlie: have you met with th gin. >> when? >> charlie: recently. >> no. >> charlie: do you fear for your own life. >> you know me charlie very well. i have no fear whatsoever. everybody has an end in their life. when it comes it comes. in the bible they say the next life is tter so what do i care. >> charlie: so what are you looking for next. what's the nextsign we should be observing. >> i'm looking for the egyptian people what we call the couch party which are the is passive people who never go to the
11:13 pm
election, they are toolazy to do their homework, to wake up in november and go out there and say we wl fight for the civil nature of egypt. we will not let egypt become a second iran. >> charlie: stay in touch. i look forward to following this story. >> thank you very much charlie. it's a pleasureo talk to you. >> charlie: it's very kind for you to stay up as late it is in cairo tonight. go ahead. >> all the nice places are closed tight so i had nothing better to do. [laughter] >> charlie: nothing better. [laughter] >> it was a pleasureo talk to you. >> charlie: naguib if i was there, i would do nothing with you. >> i know that. [laughter] all the best. >> charlie: thank you very much. naguib sawiris from cairo. >> charlie: we close this evening in appreciation of a friend who is a very successful businessman but remeered more for e checks he wrote to help
11:14 pm
others and the energy he was willing to expend for their benefit. ted forstmann died on sunday after being diagnosed with brain cancer earlier this year. he was only 71. ted was aifted businessman. he was an inten competitor. he once said once i decide to do somein i want to win in the worst way. his lif and career reflected this unfielding determination and ambition. undehis leadershipis firm return more than15 billion to its investors in companies such as gulf stream, aerospace, general instrument and dr. pepper. he was also a chairman and krevment o of img the global sports and entertainment company he purchased in 2004. his business life was defined by these bold actions. his tremendous philanthropic -- you don't think about it, you just do it. he helped children and improving
11:15 pm
their edation. in 1999 he cofounded the children's scholarship found. it became the country's largest charity helping parents and their children to the schools of their choice. the fund has provided $443 million for 116,000 children. it was also trustee of the nelson mandala chiren's fund where he helped to provide education, shelter and medical care for south african orphans. after visiting south africa in the late 199 07s. he became the legal guardian of two children he met there, everest ansiya. they given pledge t movent stted warren buffett with bill and melinda gates in 2010. theodore josep forstmann was born on february 14,th 1940. he was one of four children growing up in green witch connecticut. he helped put himself through columbia university l school by earning money in hh stakes bridge games. he started forstmannittle and compy with hisounger brother nicholas a brian little a business banker.
11:16 pm
they used bank funds and its own funds for acquisitions rather than relying on public debt markets. he famously called invtors financing their bids with high field high risk junk bonds barbarians at the gate. in 2008 he predicted the current problem financial system by saying you shouldn't loan money when it cannot be paid back. forstmann's curiousity about the world and the quest to improve it inspired the creation of the annual forstmann conference in aspen. he began it in the mid 1990's. forstmann is survived by his two sons he rest and siy his brothers anthony and john and his sisters marina and e list awe. he was a good friend of mine. he amount on e program over the years. here are excerpts of him talk big his world. >> my mother triedo instill in us there was a deference between right and wrong. i'm not sure i would exactly agree with everything she thought w right and everything she thought was rock but the
11:17 pm
principle was really important i think. and so more than religion, i think there is a right, i know there is a wrong and i think it's important that we try to do as much right and a little wron as we can. >> charlie: she al gav you a sense of winning or losing. >> ohio boy. >> charlie: joining us now to talk about t forstmann, joseph schultz the former secretary of state and krevment o of bloomberg media group and friend from bosnia sandra yonkovitch. >> i thought about teddy a lot in the last few months. i knew he had brain cancer. and i thought to myself, teddy is a real friend. he's there for you when you need him, you knew he would be there for you. he's also a tough competitor. he liked to win.
11:18 pm
he won in business. he liked to win in philanthropy. he didn't want to just give money away, he wanted really to accomplish something and he put himself into it as well as resources into it. i remember when he started the funds to promote disadvantaged children in k-12 education. he really worked at it and he has acmplied a lot. i played golf with him quite a bit and he and i were rtners. d let me tell you something, i knew he wanted to win. so i didn't, i was careful. i didn't blow any putts if i could help it. but he was a great guy. >> charlie: how did you come to know ted. >> wel he invited me a couple decades ago to join an advisory committee that was formed at forstmann little. it was like old home week. we had bob strauss and colon
11:19 pm
powell and henry kissinger. i don't know who else. we had don rumsfeld. we h fun. we tried to give them good advice and i guess we thought we d because i went on the board of one of his companies, the golf stream company and again we accomplished a lot. and we had a good time doing it. that was an interesting acquisition on the part of forstmann little. what teddy realized with a he bought a great airplane and a manufacturing capacity. no sales force, no real organization. and after a little sputtering start he decided to make himself the chf executive. and boy did he do a job. he really worked at it and the company turned out to be a very successful investment from his standpoint. as we all know who had a chance to ride on the government stream now and then. it's a great airplane. >> charlie: what do you think he was most proud of?
11:20 pm
>> probably the k-12 scholship fund. i might sayalso though, put on these annual conferencesn aspen and you've been the person chairing or moderating the sessions. i've been to practically all of them. and he loved them. and they were very exciting. we all learned from them a great deal. but ted, in that case and in others, he didn't blow his horne particularly. he was there, are he enjoyed it. he hold others enjoyed it. but he wasn't trying to particular credit for anything. i thin he sort of had a ted williams attitude. remember wt ted said when they asked him why didn't give a lot of press conferences, he said i let my bat to the talking. ted always had the attitude il t my accomplishments dohe talking. i just worked to get them to happen. >> charlie: what will you miss most about the loss of ted forstmann. >> just that sense of a friend. i knew i could call up ted and say look, i need your help, how about this.
11:21 pm
he's there for you. and then you see wt he's doing, it's fun to watch it, it's fun to take part in it. so he was a participant in life heavily. >> charlie: and a sportsman, a very good golfer, a very good tennis player. someone who had passion for as you say competition not only in business but i sports and in life. and a competitionn idea. >> but he wanted to excel, charlie. and he wanted to excel in a proper honest way. that's one reason why some of the practices by people in the line of business he was n he just didn't approve and he wouldn't do it. so he had standds and he adhered to them. >> charlie: he went on the campaign against junk bonds. >> yes, well he did. integrity, generosity, children put those two together. how could you live in a world and not feel for their plight
11:22 pm
whenever he saw them at risk and of course he saw that risk for children in so many places and acted on it. that was what was different about testifiedy, bosn, going back in the midst of that misery, i remember him being touched by that civil war, by the genocide there. it was a terror, it was a nightmare from hell. and like all of ho are looking at it as journalists readg about it every day in papers, he gets on a plane and goes there. we're, you know, are as journalists thinking about going there, dispatching others to go there, teddy's gone, he gets there. now he doesn't go just once or twice. he's there all the bloody time. coming back with stories, war stories and talking about how he was moved. i think fit byhe children. and then of course he acts on those impulses. he takes them to the next level. he often takes out his
11:23 pm
checkbook, creates foundations, creates places to fix what he sees can be fixed through the, through his own compassion as you say and his own caring for other people. and that generosity of spirit played out place after place sniefnlt do you think it satisfied some deep need he had without putting him on the couch? >> yes. i mean, before he adopted two children, as you know heidn't have any children in his life. >> charlie: never married. >> never myriad. but he was always comfortable with other people's children in ways that you know sometimes there's an awkwardness there. there's a thin veil or wall. not teddy. and he loved talking about children. do you know what he's an athle, he's a ortsn. he grew up loving games loving being on the playing field. >> charlie: from gambling to
11:24 pm
tennis to golf. >> yes. he loved the sport of i he wasn't -- >> charlie: it was all about the competition. >> all about the competition. his competitive spirit which raged in business as well and found expressions with the way he felt with companies and buying and selling companies. but it was alwaysbout you're touching, you're connecting two dots about teddy. it was always about the people in those companies that he connected with too. he was one of the original contemporaryians about financial engineering. he wanted what are people making, what are the products what are the companies producing. who are the people that are driving those companies. and he jumped in whenever he got a company. he immersed himself in that company and you saw that time and time again. >> charlie: the thing i respected about him as a businessman was the sense if he wanted a talent, if he wanted to get to know someone he would
11:25 pm
spare no effort, no experience in order to get to know them. either he wanted to he them or wanted to buy their company. i mean img. to be able to do what people dreamed of doing was to get a family to make a sale to him. >> right. >> charlie: it was a remaable achievement of persuasion. >> absolutely. and he was tenacious about those relationships. he was utterly loyal to his friends as you know. but in his business relationships, he expressed that similar kind of connection with people. he wanted you to know that he was loyaln efct to wt you were doing. >> well, it's one of those many things about teddy. he always did things behind the scenes, out in the open flashing everything. but during the civil war in bosnia that started in 92, teddy was coming and bringing money and clothes and medicine and
11:26 pm
food to people of bosnia and hers go va and the refugees and mainly the kids. they were taking him through the hospital to kind of show him the conditions and where his money and help was going through. and this is the stor as he used to tell it. i don't remember it very well but he saw a girl laying and smiling at him. and he asked the doctors what was going on with her and they said that oh, she won't last more than 24 hours. >> charlie: she's going to die. >> she's going to die. there's nothing we can do about her. >> charlie: who was theirl. >> that glwas me. and my angel was teddy. oh my gosh, she did so much because at that time nothing or nobody was leaving bosnia. i mean, it was war time. but he got me out of there. he got me the best medical care
11:27 pm
in the world and here i am today. nobody believed that i was going to make it. but it was only because of testifiedy that i did. you know,eople use that ntenceh he saved my life. teddy literally saved my life. >> charlie: and he maintained an interest in your life. >> absolutely. >> charlie: because the last time i saw you was inn new orleans and we were there together. >> yes. well teddy, he was such an amazing and special person. and yes he didn't just save my life. he continued to be in my life. he was there for me when my mom passed away. he was there for me when i finished college. >> charlie: he was there for you when you were sick. >> he was ver absolutelyhere for every moment when i was sick. and not just, you know, he was there to share kind words and give me advice and hold my hand
11:28 pm
and tell me that things aren't going to be okay. and we continued. that was in 92, i was 12 years old. here i am, 2011 and we were friends until the last day. very very special friends. >> charlie: there was a time when you could nev imagine that he would die before you. >> oh. part of metill doesn't believe it, you know. teddy was my guardian angel. and i know for a fact he wasn't just my guardian angel, he was the guardian angel of many people. and such atrong, kind wonderful person. it's just so sad to see it. >> charlie: never asked him to thank him. >> he wouldn't let me thank him. he wouldn't let me thank him. i don't know ifou heard it but i know many people around teddy
11:29 pm
heard him say this. his motto was you save one life you save the world. >> charlie: thank you. >> charlie: some of his appearances on this program ted forstmann talked not just about his business but also a philosophy of life and a reason for giving. >> i think that if you are lucky enough to have been given certain talents and results and you have ideas being a big believer in the power of ideas, that you ought to try to promulgate those ideas for the good of everyone. and i, you know, i would, sous like a big deal but you can do it in tiny ways. i would like, i try to spend as much time as i can in as many ways as ian trying to make the world a little bit better for as many people as i can. those in the world of ideas and in the world of actually trying
11:30 pm
to help people. >> charlie: touching one life at a time. >> yes. >> charlie: tell me about the children. why children? >> i don't know. i mean, i had a kind of a, you know, childhood where i was not that happy and all the rest. i think i have a feeling for kids that are in need for one reason or another. i think they are particularly vulnerable and particularly kind of defenseless and you can take any condition you want to whether it's an aids baby or whatever you want to give me. and they are particularly defenseless and have not started to lead a life and to try to do their own thing. and i think they're just, i don't know. but that's what gets me the most.
11:31 pm
>> charlie: and you have personal involvement with them, some of them? >> oh yes. >> charlie: what do the give you? >> oh gosh. i mean you know, firstf all, the kids them says, whether they're all over the world, whether it's in a bosnia or a wounded child who didn't do anything except chase a butterfly and step on a land mine. or a little kit from south africa there are over 3 million street children under the age of 10 in south africa and that's all directly as a result of apartheid and it's just as day follows the night. so you see a six year old kid sleeping on the street. you can't have that. that's just not, or any of these things.
11:32 pm
the kids are unbelievable. they don't know how to complain. i never met a kid in any of these situations in any place in the world that complained to me about anything that was going on with him. ner. i think that comes later. >> charlie: yes. you got involved with nelson mandala. >> yes. >> charlie: he's got an organization dealing with street kids. >> i think he's kind of a saint. i think, it was a little bit like this other thing, until i met the man and got to ow him, which was a little bit serendipitous, i couldn't believe what i was reading. but it's morerue than what you read. he has locked away for 27 years for wanting freedom for equality for his people. he has absolutely no anger at
11:33 pm
all. i mean, i don't know him as well as some others. i know him fairly well. i cannot see, and he's so personable and never forgets ything he should remember. he case in touch. he's an amazing man. >> charlie: you went to bosnia, you mentioned that. >> yes. >> charlie: what brought you to go to bosnia? >> well, the true story is i was sitting in as pin colorado in 1992 in the summer of 1992 reading the "w york times" waing to get a business call. and i saw a picture of a bus in seryavo who fell out of the back of the bus. i said what is going on here and he tban to tell me.
11:34 pm
and i said this is just not possible. he said i can introduce you to the president of the croasia and this and that. to make a long story short we got on the plane, went over there and heard about the refugees. kind of one thing led to the next. this is a very long story but we took a car and went to a place where all the miracles were pposedly taken place that the members of croasia as a membe of security. he trawmed out and said i don't want to go to them because they're bombing it. >> charlie: it's a little rough. >> and then pakistan and the rest of the story kind of went forward. i met somen credible people. and he risked her life to go into the town where the children were getting bomd by the serbiaians. >> charlie: do you continue your involvement there. >> yes, we have a project run
11:35 pm
through a wonderful organization called the international rescue committee. and my money has now become very unimportant pause countries have got i into this and it's way bigger. but it actually, what it does is, we used to kind of rescue some of these children from bosnia and take care of. you couldn't give money to a hospital in bosnia because it just got bombed. so it was money down th drain. would get them out and get them to croasia. now can it can b done by bosnia. >> charlie: there are lots of interesting things but because you've been on a crusade for a long time. you wanted to provide -- you wanted to compete with the government is what you really wanted to do in public education to make public education better. >> right. >> charlie: where do that stand. >> my desire to do that? charlie: well your assessment of how successful you were and what the remaining issues are. >> well, the charitable part of what we did is now pretty close to having sent a hundred
11:36 pm
thousand kids to the school of their choice. so that's pretty good. it's pretty good. >> charlie: people go -- >> wherever they want to. and the children'scholarship fund pays for most of it. in terms of how it's changed the debate, people tell me it's changed the debate pretty fundamentally. i mean people like the chancellor in new york and bloomberg and the mayor and others. you really did have an impact u changed kind of the terms of the debate. i noticed in the mayor's letter to where his article in news week, his little paragraph on education kind of is an offshoot. competition is not a dirty word. charter schools mean difrent things to different people.
11:37 pm
it's not a dirty word. it's made some progress. at the time i remember being introduced to milton friedman and he said to me what you've done is you know, he was very very pleases. what you've done is really great. he said don't be impatient. [laughter] this is a big thing and it's going to take a long time. >> charlie: nelson mandala. you became friends with him when you went to south africa. he came to one of the conferences and interviewed m while he was there. tell us about him. what is it about him that makes him in th judgment of most people o of the most special people in theorld >> well in my judgment he's one of the most special people in the world for a whole lot of things.
11:38 pm
but philosophically, if you know that the first seven seats at hi inauguration were reserved for his jairlz. it is very christ-like with his -- i mean he is the epitome of what a christian isupposed to be. total forgiveness, total whatever. as a result of knowing him, as you know, the very long story but as you know i adopted two little boys from south africa who were street children scopy forth and part of his program. mandala is 90 years old today and he still communicates with me on the subject of how are the kids. now how do you get better than that. he's wow, if we had a whole, you know, world full ofeoplelike him. >> charlie: he defines what
11:39 pm
leadership is about. >> he really does. the moral campus just doesn't quit. equality result occurs up here somewhere. and not on this earth. you really want to give people, if we could do it perfectly, you'd want to have perfect equality of opportunity and then you'd want to have the economy running on incentives. >> charlie: do you think there's a quality ofpportunity today. >> no. that's why i was, i used to get so exercised. i probably will again when i finish with img i will go back teenl case. i used to get so exercised about it because the, there was total lack of equality of opportunity. inner city kids have chance at all of getting the right kind -- they do here and there but by and large they don't have y equality of opportunity at all. so they get angry and they mmit a crime. we lose them into a system and
11:40 pm
etcetera etcetera. no i don't think it exists today. and getting education right would be a great way to get it started. >> charlie: education more than any other thing seems to have the capacity to give people the tools to make them their life. >> yes. or if you look at it the way oprah is talking about it often, if you don't then you have no tools. >> charlie: i asked you is before. why kids? what is it about you and kids? >> i think self analysis is a toh thing to do. >> charlie: well but try. >> okay. i think that i'm somebody that has never, i don't like unfairness wherever i see it. and i think for a kid, to dealt a bad hand is a lot recover than for an adult to be
11:41 pm
dealt a hapned because the kid is way more defenseless. and plus which kids are so gd. theye, you know, they're, they look at the world with they're ready for anything. they're very optimistic and it's a great resource. i don't think i can give you a better answer. >> charlie: left me just sort of add to that. the motion that a lot of other people of different political persuasions has said it's better to invest, whatever the quality of the education, having to bring the best quality. it's so much better for education. >> amen. i totally ree with that. and who ca blame the kid tt you know who is born into the world has no chance at all, has though chance in an education, knows he's not getting one and he turns to this, you know, criminal pursuit or the other. who knows what we would do if faced with the same thing. hard to blame them.
11:42 pm
>> charlie: we close this evening with a conversation about a great love affair that began with ted forstmann's trip to south africa to visit with his friend nelson mandala and two young met heet w became his sons. and as part of his legacy remember him with me this evening. >> i was at an orphanage in south africa and ted had been visiting as they had visitations from foreigners. d i had gone into the front office to go sign documentation and stuff and he came in and in fact i was watching tv in the board room at the time. and he came in and he disturbed me i was watching tv basically. and he kept trying to get me to speak to him say hello or whatev. i was ignoring him and turn up the volume on the tv actually. finally i was like look i came all the way from america. i'm a visitor. just say, i just want to say
11:43 pm
hello or filed out what your name is. i said my name is everest and i went back to tv. and then he said oh, everest, the same name and then i cut him off and said yes, the largest mountain in the world sure whatever and i went back to watching tv. a couple months later i got a letter and a box of clothing and shoes and candy and all that stuff and it was from him. i was very taken. that was the first time i met him. and then we exchaed letters and stuff and he got me into a private boarding school in south africa. and then i started visiting more and more. around this time is whe siya came into his life and siya was a companion really. absolutely. and it was a lotasier to visit and do everything that you know
11:44 pm
he does because ted's life, you know, it was amazing, fast pace all day. and so it was a lot better with siya there because we're friend, we do everything together and he was essential baby-sitter. >> charlie: you came to the united states and siya came to the united states. >> yes. about a year later. >> charlie: and here was this very successful, very giving, very dynamic american. all of audden youe caught up in his life and he is sharing his life with you guys. >> it was great. i mean you know, we were going to the best schools and you know, we were i think the envy of most people sometimes because here you a, you know you're starting from south africa, never been on a pne and all of a sudden you're in a classroom. that's pretty incredible. and you know, he always made us feel like we werectually the
11:45 pm
princes, i think. >> charlie: go ahead. >> what i was going to say is for me, we had, i think we dealt with it two different ways. because he's great with doing the thing that ted would have liked have happened wreas i was not. >> charlie: then he decided to adopt you, yes. >> yes, it was. and it's difficult to explain what that means because in south africa, the orphanage system they set it up so they get a foster parent regardless whatever and you do vacation trips or whatever and your hope is this person takes you on and we all had foster parents, he had foster parents and i had foster parents before. >> charlie: sometimes they wouldn't. >> sometimes they wouldn't take you on. they would take you for a quick one week or whatever it is. but to have somebody, you know, and part of the reason why i was very arrogant, jim when i met him is because this is jus another person he's going to
11:46 pm
take you for a week or a month or whatever. and it was great to finally be, you know, included in someone's family. i was dyin for ts. charlie: it couldn't get y better could it. >> no. >> it's great. >> and of course it ha to be ted that did that. >> charlie: nelson mandala figured into this in what way. >> well ... >> charlie: ted was a friend of nelson mandala. >> nelson mandala came here in 1994 so it was after he got elected in south africand was here raising funds for his nelson manld law's chiren fund so therphanage home that everest and awere in was under the nelson mandala children's fu umbrella. and at that fund, ted got introduced to nelson mandala. >> charlie: if you were going back to south africa and you wanted to tell them about your father, what would you tell them? >> too many words to describe
11:47 pm
but i mean you know, it's just charismatic. the best father one can have. and you know i know that's very cliche when people say that but as everest just said prior to this is that you know, we needed someone father and he came and he actually kept hiword that he would be that person. but also just he's funny which motion me -- most people don't get to z ty see the charming life and the pitches and the internet or in the newspapers. but they never really get to expeence the funny side of him. but very kind, very gingnd very loving man without showing it auditwardly but once you sit down with them, you know, just the best man one can silt down with. >> charlie: i promise you he
11:48 pm
got more out of this than you did. >> i hop so. >> charlie: i promise you h did. what you meant t him was remarkable asell. was he competitive when you two played golf? [laughter] >> i want to be as kind as i n to h when i answer it. >> charlie: is he competitive? >> well, if you look in the dictionary under competitive, there will be his picture there. the thing is, okay, honestly, it's not a very friendly competitive because you know, he's ready to step all over you. >> charlie: he wanted to kill you at that moment. >> theolf crse is interesting because as i said brvetion i was a troublemaker. he and i had a lot of problems. but once we got on the golf course we were equal and there were problems with him. are you kidding, just couldn't deal with it.
11:49 pm
>> charlie: he couldn't dea with it. >> no, no. a lot of mull gan. >> charlie: he would take a lot of mullgan. >> oh, i'm 70 years old, this putt ... you know, everything. >> charlie: everything went. >> not a lot of people know the story but one time we played in wisconsin they had just built the course there. >> charlie: exactly. >> and we went to visit herb koehler. and basically herb koehler got us on the golf course and we were playing very well, actually it was an unusual day and he shot his age that day, 48 i believe it was. and basically i made my last putt t beat him with one stroke. >> charlie: you got a 67. >> i was playing on the lady team basicallye took my putter and threw it in the lake. [laughter] >> charlie: competitive. >> just a little.
11:50 pm
oh yes. so you know. and you know, it's great tha he was competitive because i wasn't that type of person. i loved it when other people -- you learned to be lailg bit competitive because i need i now you know going out in the world and living without him. i do need this competitive so you know lessod learned. >> charlie: i just hope when he wasn't there that you weren't entertaining at the house. [laughter] >> you work at img. >> i do worat img. >> charlie: he was your boss. >> he was my boss. and you know, the first time before we moved offic up stairs and said well want my kiright next to me and obviously i went to the lady i said don't please don't.
11:51 pm
because he'll just keep too many tabs on me. but gunls we got up stairs to the new imguilding i was table to escape. still he wanted me next to him because his brother's always been next to him. he said that's where nike used to be just go. i said no, no, i have to go on the other side because it's much more fun. but also i can actually do everything without the apprecia. and you know just, it's good, it's fun. >> charlie: what was the most important thing he ga you siya? obviously the obvious is that he gave you a father, he gave you an opportunity to have a new life. buhe also gave you values. gave you a standard, he gave you -- >> being very kin to people. he as you know he led by example and we have two friends who have been as lucky as we have been and then you know sandra who was
11:52 pm
from bosnia, who had helped a lot and anna as well from chicago. who also suffering from cancer and ted helped her a lot. but that's what he kept on tryingo instill in us to treat the lowest of people. but people who need that help suffering but also kids who are actually underprivileged. but also another thing he gave me school, you know. i remember graduating from pepperdine and seeing his smile. and i knew that i did what he wanted me to do and so it was the case with my brother getting out of high school. he was just beaming. you would never think this was a serious man, you know. he was cracking jokes. it was good, you know, having mariachi bands there because he
11:53 pm
wanted fiesta the whole time. >> charlie: the legacy is. >> mine's slightly more selfish than siya's. >> charlie: why am i not surpsed. >> gos basically for me it's going to be difficult to explain in a sht terms what he's meant to men my life because've been able, anything that anyone has ever been able to say thank you for to me is very meaningful because it comes straight from ted. before that, i had nothing t offer anybody at all. zero. until ted it's the first time i started hearing thank yous comi back. before that i was saying tnk you a lot to other people because i was living under charitiability and now i'm a person that you know, i do, i make jokes and i laugh a lot and whatever but you know i'm somebody who can change levels and who can look deep inse to find a way to help somebody
11:54 pm
else. so whatever it may be, you know. and there's nothing greater than that. was trying to thank everest for a very long time and i couldn't do it with hool work. i codn't do it with things that he asked. golf almost, i could almost do it with golf but then so after a while my idea of what's going to get a thank you everest from ted blew up into some kind of impossible universe, right. i have to do something really, you know, os nomical to get a thank you everest. then i come back to find out it's very simpleyou know just lifting him up out of his chair or helping him walk down the hall and sit down or eat food or whatever. thank you everest and to me that was, you know. >> charlie: you learn from watching him battle a terminal illness too. >> i did. i did. my dad as you know he's always had a hard time of being
11:55 pm
acceing,oving outwardly. he loves everyone. but always had a hard time with just getting our whole family in one room and all of us getting together and enjoying each other's company. and as everest can attest to this, the last few months have been incredible with our whole family there. >> charlie: ted forstmann who died early sunday morning at age 71.
11:56 pm
captioning sponsored by rose communications captioned by media acce group at wgbh access.wgborg
11:57 pm
11:58 pm
11:59 pm

66 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on